“I never made a sacrifice.”
So said Hudson Taylor, looking back over his life of service in China in which that element was certainly not lacking. But if you have purposed to surrender all to follow Christ, you have undoubtedly experienced this truth. The benefits of walking with the Lord are so real and lasting “that giving up is inevitably receiving, when one is dealing with the heart of God.” (Quotes were taken from Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret by Dr. and Mrs. Howard Taylor.)
This has fueled some recent discussion in our home about what it means to be content. What is the secret? Hudson Taylor learned it. The Apostle Paul learned it too. Paul wrote, “I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need.” Philippians 4:11b-12
The secret? It is stated or at least implied in the next verse.
“I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.” Philippians 4:13
When I was saved and began to follow Christ in high school, the first verse I memorized was this verse – Philippians 4:13. However, I’m ashamed to say that I tried to apply this verse out of context to serve my own agenda. Back then, even as a new believer, football was my passion. I claimed this verse over and over again that I could become (through Christ) the best college football quarterback since Doug Flutie. (I know, I’m dating myself.) But Paul was not stating this conviction in the context of becoming the best teacher in Rome or the greatest gospel ambassador in Asia but it was in the context of being content. He had learned the secret of the exchanged life – trading his life for the life Christ offered Him – the life of Christ Himself.
You see, when you and I agree by faith with the truth of Scripture, we really believe that we are dead men and women, crucified with Christ. And we take that progression all the way by faith and truly believe that we no longer live but Christ lives in us. Then, and only then, are we able to say with Paul that we can be content in ALL circumstances BECAUSE we CAN do all things THROUGH Christ who strengthens us. Isn’t that remarkable? And it is such a remarkable secret that it is worth not only whispering to everyone we meet but shouting it from the mountaintops (or, in this case, posting it on our blog!)
I hope this “secret” blesses you and challenges you as it is blessing us. Please pray for us – as we continue to transition into a new culture – that we will be content in all of our circumstances.
Monday, September 11, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm with you bro. Great post! I have been challenged even today as I looked at 1 Cor. 12. You play such a vital role in the body, even as you make these posts. Be encouraged as you have encouraged me.
Blessings!
Great reminder! Blessings to you and yours.
Gary & Kimber
Great reminder! Blessings to you all.
Gary & Kimber
Post a Comment