Monday, September 11, 2006

No pain, no gain?

Vince Lombardi must have been a little sick to make that “no pain, no gain” statement that has become a quotable quote over the years. It’s the “pain” part that I don’t like. In fact, you might say that I have a love/hate relationship with working out – mostly hate. I only love it when I’m done!

But working out here isn’t much of an option. Our company places a high value on maintaining good health and getting in shape and staying in shape on the field. So I knew when we arrived that getting into an exercise routine of some kind was something I had to do.

But where? There are really no viable options near our apartment. Traffic makes cycling or even running not a safe option. And swimming in our apartment’s little “kiddy” pool, really wouldn’t qualify as “exercise”.

Before we moved from Little Rock, I had begun to swim for a few months, so swimming was my first choice for exercise here. I began to look for a real pool. For a while, all I could find close by was a new gym near the school. But the fees of about $100/month, I determined, would be a budget buster. So I kept looking.

Then I found it! A park - just five minutes down the road from the girls’ school. It has two separate 25 meter pools (one for men and one for women – both pools completely fenced in and separated from the other) a nice place to jog, lots of playground areas and equipment for Daniel, more doves than I’ve ever seen in a Texas sunflower patch in September, and a nice little burger shop. The next to best part was the membership price: under $8/month!!! Yep, you read it right. Less than 8 dollars a month and yes, I said it was the “next to best” part! So, what is the best part?

Without a doubt, the best part has been the three friends that I’ve made there so far. Two young men - both great athletes from another middle eastern country – work at the park as lifeguards. The other friend I’ve made works in the office. I have experienced favor with each of these men.

One of the lifeguards wants to help me with my Arabic in exchange for help with his English – he has a huge head start!

The other lifeguard has competed as swimmer for his country on a world level, and wants to help me with my swimming – just because he’s a nice guy. (Honestly, I think he feels sorry for me because my technique needs A LOT of help!) This morning was my first workout with him "TRAINing" me. I thought I was a decent swimmer until he got through with me.

And finally, the office guy wants to take me hunting! I was telling him that I love to hunt and will certainly miss hunting back in the states. He said he will take me when it gets cooler in the fall. But this kind of hunting sounds different than any other kind of hunting I’ve ever done. He wants to take me “falcon” hunting. No, we won’t hunt FOR falcons, we will hunt WITH them! Falconry is really big here in the UAE and I can’t wait to experience it.

Please pray for my three new friends. They have been very good to me. I would like for God to bless them and reveal Himself to them. And pray for me as I joyfully participate in the process.

“No pain, no gain.” I don’t know how much physical gain I will experience while I’m here. But I do hope the “pain” serves the purpose of producing some eternal gain. In fact, I’m so stoked about that, I’m ALMOST enjoying the pain! Almost.

No comments: