Friday, May 04, 2007

How is your soul?

Today at church we had a visiting pastor from Arizona speak on the soul. When Jesus said the greatest commandment is to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength", what exactly did He mean by "your soul"?

David, the shepherd, said of Jesus His Good Shepherd, "He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads us beside quiet waters; He restores my soul." Our visiting pastor indicated that the fact David's soul needed restoring implies that his soul was depleted!

All of our souls tend to get depleted from time to time. The busyness of life is a constant drain on the soul.

He went on to share how God uses solitude to retore us, refine us, and strengthen us. Look how God used solitude in the lives of Moses, David, and Paul to prepare them to be used by Him. Even Jesus Himself had a rhythm to His ministry - engagement and retreat; engagement and retreat.

He challenged us to develop this discipline of solitude even in our daily, weekly, monthly, annual schedules. What a confirmation it was to me on what I have been sensing my soul needs. In fact, just yesterday I submitted a request for some time off to get away for a 3 day personal retreat next week. I'm going to head to the mountains to reflect on God's faithfulness, rest in His love, and receive any marching orders He might have for me.

Speaking of retreat, Lori is at a 3 day women's conference this weekend here in Dubai. Ann Graham-Lotz is the keynote speaker and nearly 600 women are attending. Lori is on the praise team and is, I trust, even as I type this post, enjoying using her talents of singing to help lead in praise and worship of our great God. He alone is worthy!

So, how is your soul? "Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations." Psalm 46:10

No comments: