Sunday, May 20, 2007

Double-dog dare: Love one another

On my recent personal retreat, I was caught off guard as I listened to an old familiar hymn, "Be Thou My Vision." I was overwhelmed with the love of my Heavenly Father for me.

I found myself resting in this Love. The by-product was peace. This displaced any anxious thought I had about the future. "Perfect love casts out fear". 1 John 4:18

My former pastor in San Antonio, Dr. David Walker, used to say all the time, "The essence of a kingdom is the presence of a king." No king. No kingdom. I've found this to be true. When King Jesus is ruling and reigning my life, His Kingdom (righteousness, peace, joy, power) is ushered in and manifested in me and through me.

Now, stay with me as I shift gears on this subject of love.

Love is defined many ways in 1 Cor. 13. One way is this: "Love does not take into account a wrong suffered." I can think of no greater "joy-robber" and "peace-stopper" in my life than when I focus on the imperfect actions or attitudes of others. In other words, love lets go.

Although I don't agree at all with the substance and "theology" of the old Beatles song, there is at least wisdom found in the title: "Let it be"!

If just to maintain our own well-being, that should be reason enough for us to "let go" and love. But there is so much more at stake - especially when the people who have wronged us or have disappointed us are brothers and sisters in the Lord.

Jesus said, "All men will know you are My disciples, if you have love for one another." John 13:35. And again, Jesus prays to His Father in John 17:23, "I in them, and You in Me, that they may be perfected in unity, that the world may know that You did send me, and did love them, even as You did love me."

So go ahead. Let go. Love. I double-dog dare you. Love God by yielding to King Jesus and obeying His "new" command: "Love one another."

Not only will the presence of the King's reign usher in His Kingdom (peace and joy) in your life, a watching world will know that you are a follower of Jesus and, most importantly, will be drawn to Him.

No comments: