Thursday, July 27, 2006

Yesterday...40 years ago

Yesterday, God was watching me in the same place he was watching me 40 years ago!

You see, yesterday I was in my parents bedroom grabbing a little "quiet time". For an introverted nomad who has had no place to call home for the last two months, I desperately need to get my "recharge time" somewhere, and my parents bedroom was the only quiet refuge!

I've been reading through Psalms in my devotions lately, and yesterday's reading led me to Psalm 139. I was drawn to verses 13-16.

13 For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother's womb.

14 I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well.

15 My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, and skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth;

16 Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; and in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them.

That's when it hit me. I was in the exact phsical location I was 40 years ago - except 40 years ago, I was only about 10 weeks old inside my mother's womb! Yes, I will turn 40 in February for those of you now trying to do the math! And yes, my parents still live in the same house as when I was born.

So 40 years ago, in the same room that I was reading, I was being physically formed inside my mother. Even in the secret place, He knew me. And this passage tells me that God could see what I would be doing 40 years later - reading about Him forming me and preparing me to live out the purpose for which He was making me!

My conclusion? The same as King David's in verse 6...

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is too high, I cannot attain to it.


What message is there for me from this insight? As I prepare to lead my family on a journey to the other side of the planet, here are seven quick nuggets from Psalm 139 that I will take with me as I prepare for the "second half" (or perhaps 2 minute warning!) of my life...

1) He knows me better than anyone on the planet.
2) He has ordained my days and know the exact number of them.
3) There is nowhere I can go without His presence.
4) Our God is an amazing, ALL-KNOWING God. There is no god like Him among the nations.
5) He's still at work forming me - in the secret place.
6) He knows my thoughts from afar - every one of them - and still loves me!
7) He's always watching - and He's always thinking about me. Me? Yes, me. He made me. He knows me. He loves me. Yes, even me.

And do you know what? He knows you too! And He's crazy about you!

3 comments:

Four4Him said...

When He speaks, He speaks! Matt, I'm lifting you up bro!

Love ya,
Todd

Anonymous said...

Wow! Thanks for sharing. Having already left for our "mission field" in San Jose, CA, I really needed to hear your thoughts on those verses. It's easy to say, "God, you've planned my days before I was born" until He asks you to do something that pushes you right out of your own little world. It's been hardest for me, but I do know that He is still offering me His living water, not my broken cistern. I pray that He will fill each person in your family with that same living water and that you, unlike me, will not have a moment where you turn to drink from your broken cistern!

Anonymous said...

Just found your site through your card. Want you to know our church is praying for you in KY tonight.
Bro Matt, Pastor New Salem BC